Through no fault of their own, black cats are very often overlooked time and time again, as most people will choose 'prettier' coloured cats like the tabby, grey, ginger or tortoise shell. Even black kittens are left until last for adoption, while their more colourful siblings are chosen first.
Black and black and white cats are also very often left waiting much longer than tabby or ginger cats. Some spend many months in rescue, sometimes years, waiting for someone to see past their colour of their fur.
Below are our top ten reasons to adopt a black cat:
10. A Black cat won’t care what hair colour you have, it will love you because you take care of them and have given them a loving home.
9. Black cats have a sleek sophisticated look and are overall very beautiful cats.
8. If your cat chooses to sit on your lap before you go out and you are wearing dark clothes chances are the fur won’t show up on your clothes.
7. Many famous people have also owned black cats. Such as Fred Astaire, Winston Churchill, Ernest Hemingway, Brian Eno, Frank Zappa, John Lennon & Yoko Ono, Queen Victoria, Charles I, John Travolta and Edgar Allan Poe amongst many more.
6. You and your cat can have the perfect Halloween costume!
5. When you love a black cat luck is on your side.
4. They are like mini playful pet panthers!
3. There are many famous black cat characters like; Salem from Sabrina the teenage witch, Sylvester from looney tunes, Felix the cat, Binx from Hocus Pocus, Snowball II from the Simpsons, The cat from the Cat in the Hat and Lucifer from Cinderella.
2. Adopting a cat is lucky for you and definitely lucky for them.
1. Black cats are the least likely to be adopted and it is likely that it will take them the longer to be adopted than their more colourful brothers and sisters.
We hope these top ten reasons help you to open up your heart to a beautiful black cat.