We all want to feed our favourite felines healthy cat food, but choosing cat food online and knowing which are the best cat food brands to keep our kitties purring can be confusing!
There are multiple reasons that cats may gain extra weight, and this can happen suddenly, or over time.
If you are concerned about your kitty's weight, try not to worry - have them weighed at the vet, so you know just how much weight you need to help them lose to be at their ideal health, and then make a start to introduce positive changes gradually.
Common Reasons for Feline Weight Gain:
- Overeating - by snacking, too many treats, eating lots of titbits or from doubling up on meals by eating at other homes (you'd be surprised how common this is!).
- An unhealthy diet, usually caused by foods with excessive salt and fat.
- Lack of exercise, either from being an indoor cat, or being docile and not wanting to venture outdoors.
- Medical issues - if a healthy diet doesn't help your cat, it's always wise to check in with your vet.
Why Do Some Cats Gain Weight and Not Others?
Some factors make cats more likely to gain a few pounds. These include things such as:
- Age - older kitties tend to move a little slower and may need a lower-fat diet to support them as they reach their golden years.
- Breed - some cats are more susceptible to weight gain than others.
- Gender - female kitties tend to gain weight more easily than male cats.
- Neutering - while beneficial for feline health in many ways, neutered or spayed cats need slightly fewer calories and may gain weight more quickly.
Signs that Your Cat Is Overweight
It's always tempting to reward our favourite furries with treats and snacks, and it's less easy to spot if fluffier breeds are getting a little unhealthy!
Here are some of the key things to watch out for if you're concerned about your cat’s weight:
- Their collar keeps feeling too tight and needs to be loosened.
- Your cat is struggling to walk or carry out basic movements like jumping and climbing.
- Being slow in actions, and having difficulty breathing.
- Changes in mood (more challenging to spot in grumpy moggies!).
- Sleeping more, and for longer, than usual.
If any of these apply, the best thing you can do for your cat is to look at feeding healthy, nutritious cat food, and encouraging them to be as active as possible. This shouldn't mean drastic changes, but cutting down on treats, committing more time to play and interacting with your cat, and making sure you're feeing the right food will make sure your cat returns to their ideal healthy weight.
Top Tips for Feeding Healthy Cat Food
Cats need a balanced and nutritious diet to maintain healthy joints, sharp teeth and enjoy their active lifestyle.
Lots of kitties tend to rush their mealtimes, snack on unhealthy treats, or eat large portions that combine to make them a little too cuddly for their own good...
If you have a feline who devours their food, a cat slow feeder is a great place to start. This type of cat food bowl is a smart and straightforward way to encourage your kitty to take their time over dinner, avoiding all sorts of digestive issues.
Take a look at the Trixie Cat Activity Tunnel Feeder. This clever interactive cat feeder will calm down the feeding frenzy while keeping your cat's mind engaged!
Choosing Healthy Cat Treats
Another important consideration is choosing diet cat food treats that your cat will love!
It is all too easy to get carried away with the treats and titbits; so choosing the best weight loss cat food treats will maintain a healthy waistline and a happy home.
For the best diet cat food online, opting for natural treats such as VETIQ Healthy Bites, or Organic Catnip Dental Chews will make sure your fluffy friend is content, without harming their diet.
What Cat Food is the Best for Overweight Cats?
When your cat is struggling to maintain a healthy weight, first make sure you are feeding the right portion sizes. This all depends on their weight, age and breed, so make sure to read the feeding guides on the packet, or pop your cat on the scales to avoid overfeeding.
A healthy diet cat good is an easy way to satisfy your felines hungry tummy, with fewer calories - Hills Science Plan Light and Purina ONE Light are great options.
The best tactic for long-term health is to ensure you balance a healthy diet with plenty of exercise so encouraging active play and stimulating games are a great way to ensure your cat is fighting fit for years to come!