What are the WEEE regulations?
The Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) Directive is now U K law. The legislation aims to make producers pay for the collection, treatment and recovery of waste electrical equipment. The regulations also mean that suppliers of equipment like high street shops and internet retailers must allow consumers to return their waste equipment free of charge.
The amount of WEEE we throw away is increasing by around 5% each year, making it the fastest growing waste stream in the UK.
- Much of the UK's WEEE ends up in landfill, where the lead and other toxins it contains can cause soil and water contamination. This can have a harmful effect on natural habitat, wildlife and also human health.
- Many electrical items that we throw away can be repaired or recycled. Recycling items helps to save our natural finite resources and also reduces the environmental and health risks associated with sending electrical goods to landfill.
Distributors of new Electric and Electronic Equipment (EEE) have a part to play in reducing the amount of WEEE going into landfill sites.
What is All Pet Solutions doing?
All Pet Solutions Ltd are obliged under these regulations to offer our customers free take-back of their WEEE on a like-for-like basis when you buy from us a new Electrical or Electronic product.
For example, if a customer bought any electrical item from us we would accept their old item and prevent it going into a landfill site by disposing of it safely. Customers must return their WEEE item to us within 28 days of purchasing their new item.
Under the WEEE Regulations, all new electrical goods should now be marked with the crossed-out wheeled bin symbol shown below:
Goods are marked with this symbol to show that they were produced after 13th August 2005, and should be disposed of separately from normal household waste so that they can be recycled.
How to use the 'Take-back' scheme?
If you bought your new item in store;
- Simply bring your like-for-like item into our store at the address below e.g. if you buy a new dog hair clipper from us, you may return your old clippers to us.
- Hand it over to the counter staff advising that you want to use the 'take-back' service.
- Show your receipt of purchase (or Invoice) for your new item.
- Simply package up your like-for-like item e.g. if you buy a new dog hair clipper from us, you may return your old clippers to us.
- Put in the post with your receipt to the following address;
If you bought your new item online;
WEEE Take Back Scheme,
All Pet Solutions Ltd
Unit 203 Riverside Way
Alternatively you can recycle any waste electrical or electronic item at your local WEEE recycling depot! For full details please contact your local authority or visit www.recycle-more.co.uk